Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sugar Daddy Dot What?

When I was in college, the only talk show that was ever on TV was the Jerry Springer Show. Yeah, I know, cliched. However, it did provide us with some lunch hour entertainment that was in no way related to our studies.

So, I left one channel on a little too long and on comes Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil, as we all know, burst on the scene as Oprah's sidekick a few years ago. Now, he has a program all his own where he gets sixty minutes to verbally abuse small groups of people.

Today, the topic wasn't cheating partners or abusive parents or drug problems. Instead, Dr. Phil focused on a few couples who "met" at a dating service called SugarDaddy.com. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that someone came up with a dating service that paired up varying kinds of exploitative opportunists. Perhaps there is an advantage to having such clear, self-serving motives when dating. For the rest of us, we are forced to "weed out" people that fall into unacceptable categories. For Sugar Daddy daters, I suppose their weeding out process includes eliminating women with cellulite and men with small bankrolls. For us, it's selecting out the people who don't take us seriously enough or who don't share our interests or who don't appreciate us for who we are.

Wow--simple solution. Choose something really black and white--something either you or your partner should or should not have that doesn't have a grey area, and then, voila--relationship success.

Where did I go wrong?

No comments: