Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Too Many Chick Buddies?

Yes, I am sure that isn't what you want to hear from a self-confessed "modern" woman--the idea that a man surrounded daily by friendly femininity is a bad thing. However, there are a few valid reasons why the guy with too many female friends is a put-off for potential dating partners.

The first question that will come to mind on the part of a would-be partner is: Why am I necessary if he is so comfortable with these women as friends? And, more importantly, does he know how to separate the female friend from the female more-than-friends?

Regardless of how up-to-date or confident a woman may be, she doesn't want to see her man hanging out with more estrogen than testosterone. She doesn't want to hear about the week-long trips across countries or oceans to go see your girl-buddies, and she doesn't want to have something like a "facebook marriage" (whatever the hell that is) explained to her in an e-mail.

The beginning of a relationship is a very tentative time for both partners--everyone is finding the necessary footing to see if the relationship can go past the first few dates. It is certainly not the time to introduce "her" the world of your affectionate companionship with other women--she'll only think she will become one of the existing harem and prefer to step off rather than step up to the plate. What does this mean for you? Well, it may mean a little "white lying" on your part for a little while. It may mean being a little less open about which friends you are going to visit and spending the most time with until you get past the first stages of the dating process. By then, you'll probably be thinking about introducing her to some of your friends, and that's the best way to bring them out into the open. I guarantee if you only lightly touch on your hanging out with your "friends" at the beginning, then allow her to observe you with your female friends a few dates into the process, she will associate your female friends with your friends in general and it won't at all count against you. Start from the beginning in on your invaluable buddies in the chick category, and I guarantee you that you will be asking yourself why potential partners stop returning e-mails or calls more than once, if you aren't already.

What you're going to have to accept, whether you like it or not, is that it isn't normal to have a lot of female friends, and if you have that and no partner, you should be asking yourself a few questions--ironically the same questions that the partners who will want none of that are also asking. The number one question is why are they all buddies, and are they buddies because that's the category you naturally put women in right away rather than see potential beyond that? Consequently, you have a tough question to answer, too, and you are going to like this one less--say you do get involved with someone, what are you going to do? You aren't going to be able to be equally close with your female buddies and your female partner, and that may mean a change in your relationships with your female friends. Do you feel comfortable distancing yourself from your chicks for that one chick that you will have known for a shorter period of time and whose potential lies in the future rather than in the past experiences that forged the relationships you have with your female friends?

Tough questions, but I'm sorry to say that you're going to have to answer them....or remain single, your choice.

13 comments:

Justin said...

I love this topic... I used to bring it up with a friend of mine because I have practically no female friends, and he has a ton.
Anyway, if you'd like to post your dreams on our blog, I can add you as a contributor... just let me know.

gagknee said...

Never trust a guy who has more girl friends than guy friends.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bitch said...

Ahhh your post says exactly how I feel if I had the analytical power to express it. If only boys with a suspiciously large number of female friends understood.
PS. Go back to red! It's my all-time favorite.

Sayani said...

hi,
Very well said and I'm impressed with the bold article . I think these are the basic points every one should ask themselves to lead a proper defined relationship ..... good work .....

Unknown said...

hi , hello
, i saw your blog , amazing blog , you have done good job on the topic fantastic work you have done .
i have one blog related to legend of your life or legend of the world . in which i took some good personality i have took.
but i wants more legend of the world so i requested to if do u have any legend on your life so please writes comments on this link .
http://world-legend.blogspot.com

http://world-legend.blogspot.com

also you describe your legend as a comment if you have
http://world-legend.blogspot.com

tastyfake said...

Honestly, this sounds like paranoia and jealousy - if you expect a partner to give up his 'large' amount of female friends, are you going to give up all your male friends? If this seems ridiculous to you, maybe you'll get my point.

I think you should listen to your own advice - your final sentence.

I don't mind if this comment goes unpublished, but you just can't generalise like that. (Oh wait, you can, it's your blog... I get that too, but I have to say I disagree with you). Defining people by their binary gender roles is dangerous, and suffocating, at best. Friends are friends, & if you are unable to trust a partner regarding their friends... Well, I just don't think 'outside influences' are at fault there.

Just wanted you to see the other side of the coin... it's pretty shiny. Men and women can most definitely be friends. Single men and women, attached men and single women, vice versa.

Passionate Eater said...

Very interesting post and feedback to the post (including TastyFake's comment). I understand the increased sensitivity and suspicion when it comes to a man with many female friends. When a male surrounds himself with female friends, he tends to be seen as a player/playboy (enhancing his maleness), and a female tends to be seen as a tomboy (decreasing her femininity). Definitely a good topic for discussion.

Lilly said...

I agree, its dangerous. Particularly if they have far fewer male friends.

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

A lot of "acquaintances" of the feminine type here, but very few "Friends". Women folk tend to enjoy different activities in general.....

One of the reasons, I think why we were made to be a basically monogamous species....well, Wollfs are anyway.....

My Guy friends hunt and fish and skydive and mountain climb, and rebuild cars.....stuff I like.

Most Ladies enjoy that as much as I enjoy shopping for shoes...*blech*.

That said, Man and Woman, Yin and Yang....it's what makes the world go 'round.

Viva le'difference
Wollf

*oh, and thanks for stopping by*

Robin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I do enjoy a little whatever Martha too. Nice blog.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.