I've been dreaming rather vividly lately. I am not much of a sound sleeper, so I usually wake up several times during the course of the night--not to the point of being unable to sleep again, but each time I do rouse, I can usually recall bits and pieces of what I had been dreaming. The other night, I dreamt that I was somehow involved in what seemed to be a field trip with a group of children. There were other adults also in supervisory positions, and we took the group from a bus stop to a large building. Apparently, all of the kids needed to shower, and there was only one shower in the building. I thought it was a better idea to take five of them to my house, which must have been somewhere nearby, and allow them to clean up there. However, the other adults wouldn't allow this to happen, and I decided to leave. On the way out the door, I met a young man, about my age. He wasn't remarkable in some unrealistic sense--he didn't look like Pierce Brosnan and he wasn't built like Superman. He was red haired, good looking in an "I could meet you on the way down the street" sort of way. He asked to come with me, and I agreed. We walked back to the bus stop with the intention of taking one back to wherever we came from. As we waited there, I remember his affectionately holding me, like he knew me and knew me well.
Then, I woke up.
Yes, I'm sure you're all thinking "ah, I know where that was leading..." but I'm not much of an erotic dreamer. If I had to classify myself, I am an "erotic realist"--I like depth to people and things, or else, they are just dull to me. To me, it was a sign of something else. I woke up and I missed that--I missed the real closeness that comes with being with someone who actually wants to be there with me.
I've been told, many times, from non-single people "not to worry, you'll find someone." Well, this is about as annoying as someone telling you to "calm down" during a heated fight. It isn't fair play.
This led me to thinking about the annoying things that non-single people do around us single folks. Lots of times, it's the "recently converted" who are the worst perpetrators. The long-termers are a little more sympathetic, but it depends upon how long they have been in the "taken" category. Some have gone so long in the company of someone else that they rarely see life in a state without that element, making it tough to completely relate.
I remember a while ago, I lost a relationship that truly did hurt me very much and at the same time, someone else I regularly was in contact with embarked on a new relationship. Every time we spoke, it had something to do with the new acquisition of a partner. I heard about everything from how they talked to what they did together to even the basis of their sex lives. The timing was very wrong for me, but that didn't seem to matter.
Oh, yes, and don't think that the other individual wasn't aware of what had happened to me. It just didn't register, it didn't matter in the face of the enjoyable newness being experienced. It isn't as if there weren't other people that could have taken my place as a listener on this matter, either. Yes, this is an extreme case, of course. Not all people are inconsiderate and being in a relationship does not immediately translate into that kind of behavior. However, I would encourage the non-single people in the world not to suffer from a completely memory wipe of past events before the rebirth that is your new relationship. It isn't as if we aren't happy for you, too. Those well-wishes will quickly abate on your behalf if you start parading around as if things have always been as comfortable and cozy for you as they became when your partnership started.
Don't help us along, either. Yes, we single people of the world do realize that you only have our best interests at heart. But, there is truly nothing more annoying than you're trying to "give to us", neatly wrapped in a box, a version of what you've managed to find. This usually comes in the form of offers of blind dates, setting people up with friends of friends or with family members. It is no surprise that a surge in this kind of behavior generally can be traced to the beginning of your dating prospects. Suddenly, you're so happy, you want to share that. Good for you. Now stop it. If you remember back into the mists of time that was your "single" life, you'll realize that in most cases, it wasn't the partnered people taking pity on you that got you to where you are. Thank you for trying to share the love. However, we have to find it ourselves just like you did. Give us a chance rather than cramming our schedules full of surprise double dates where you get to cuddle with your new partner and we sit uncomfortably by with someone we've never met and probably wouldn't have made an effort to get to know if we had without your interference.
So, take that with you down your new road. You never know when it may end, landing you right back where you started--with us, on the single side.
14 comments:
Great blog, it was very interesting read. You know when you dream, it is an extension of what you are feeling at the time.
Come by and we'll chat. www.lovesbible.com
I have heard a few good stories from blind dates (albeit a very small few). And, if they don't work out, at least they make for great blog fodder.
You do a bring up a good point about how oblivious and foregttful people get when they're in a new relationship. It's so true. But, then again, isn't it better to focus on the positive, happy new relationship, than the formerly, not-as-happy singledom (Not that singledom is unhappy, but a new relationship is always happier!)?
Oy, long comment!
Sunshine
funny you write this. I'm newly in a relationship after being the only one of my friends w/out anyone. So now I can join conversations and be invited out with everyone else. That's an awkward jacked up feeling that I know too well. Believe me. I'd been single for a long time...
I'm not good with dreaming, as I never remember anything!
As a single in Birmingham, England, I know how it is.
Interesting dream. Even though love may 'make the world go round', relationships are overrated. Ive always hated the comment "You'll find someone" also. Its like telling a person whose about to kill themselves after their entire life has slid into the mud of life "Things will get better."
I think, as a general rule, other people are more likely to love you when you have some love or respect for oneself.
Unfortunately, when we are single for too long we start to get down on ourselves, and then the vicious cycle begins.
AHHH...blessed dreamland!! I was once an avid dreamer and would often look forward to going to bed (my dreams were often more lively/active than real life-yes, sad I know). I would even noticed that when I would eat certain foods (like fritos) I would have some fairly "different" dreams that same night. I always found it exciting! Then life took over and stresses came into play and remembering my dreams stopped. It's only been recently that I've started remembering my dreams. I would agree that some dreams are an extention of what is going on in our daily lives...I would sometimes think to myself "what is this telling me? How can I use this to my advantage?"
As for singleness and the "non single"...I can relate and understand BUT it's hard for both sides. I was single for a long (LONG) time, constantly subjected to "oh..meet my nephew johnny-he's such a nice guy and SINGLE TOO" or to the stories of anothers love life (good and bad). I remember the feeling and I didn't like it. I didn't like the cliche statements of "you'll meet someone, don't give up, or your better off". On a sad note, as a non-single person I often feel as if I can't "gush" (for a lack of better words) about my relationship w/my hubby in fear of "hurting" or upsetting someone else who isn't in a relationship. It's kind of hard on me in the aspect that sometimes there is something on my mind regarding the goings on that I need an outside opinion.
I love reading your posts. You have inspired me and hopefully I can put that inspiration into words on my own blog.
Hey I am reading your blog and really enjoying it and also finding that it is very uplifting for me in a way. Thank you too for leaving me comments. You have no idea how helpful it is to hear an outsiders comments and ideas to what I am saying.
"you have plenty of time!" i know exactly how exasperating that can sound. it's an effort to respond to that and not come off as pathetic and alone.
It's perpetual though. Singles are troubled to relate with the couples, but the couples feel the same problem from other couples.
If marriage isn't a big issue, children are. You might be used to double dating with other couples - just as singles hang out with singles - but once one couple has kids, you're treated as being irrelevant again.
Then it's the renter couples against the home-owners, or whatever. Perhaps when one gets so bogged down in domestic things that you go through midlife crisis and get jealous of the single people again. It's all a big circle. :)
Post a Comment